Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summer activities!

Summer is just so crazy and it's amazing what takes place in just a couple of weeks. Every day something is going on, but I'll breifley mention a few highlights.

A couple weekends ago we went Camping at the Spruces up Big Cottonwood Canyon with my Dad and siblings. We had fun just hanging out together and Dad got all the kids fishing poles and so we did a little fishing. I haven't camped with my family and especially my Dad in forever and it was so much fun and I hope we do it more often!



The 3rd, 4th and 5th of July we went up to my Mom and Ennis' "Country House" in Woodland and had such a fun time! Mom and Ennis' really spent a lot of time making it a really fun and memorable time for all of us! We had fun around the fire pit and loved hearing Ennis read his cowboy poetry and having him teach us the "virginia reel" country dance. They also had a shooting range built and we had a little turkey shoot competition, and it was fun having us all learn how to shoot a gun. We watched movies in theater, rode four wheelers, and went to the Oakley rodeo. The morning of the fourth we had a flag raising ceremony and Ennis shot off his mini cannon which you would never expected to explode the way it did! My sisters and I sang the Star Spangled Banner...the dixie chick version. Tom made it up the afternoon of the fourth after working some seriously long and crazy hours in order to even take off any time on the fourth!(thanks Tom for sacrificing and working so hard for us). Oh, we also went tubing down this irrigation stream and had quite the adventure...a little scary because of how long we floated down and not having the best floatation devices, not to mention floating through cobwebs and having spiders land on you and having Addie ready to launch herself into the stream every time something landed on her tube...oh and getting attacked by geese and coming to a bridge that we had to get out and cross and looking around and realizing we are smack dab in the back of someone's yard:) I'm not sure I would do the whole thing again but it's now a memory that I will love having! It was just such a fun weekend...I didn't take many pics as Brittany was documenting the event for us, so i'll have to still some of hers:)

The hammocks were a total hit with the kids!

Addie and her cowboy hat and pop gun that all the kids were running around with

Addie and Bridger...the curious duo!

The shooting range

The Oakley Rodeo


One of the biggest hightlights for our little family is that on the 3rd of July Elsie took her first steps! I was sad that Tom wasn't there to see her do it but he saw her the next day when she was still all wobbly and excited about her new trick (at almost 17 months), she still would prefer crawling over walking, but she's getting better each day. We love you Els!




This week I was at Girl's Camp up at Bear Lake. It was so much fun getting to know all the girls and leaders so much better, and I just love girls camp. We went up to the minnatonk cave one day, got raspberry shakes, played in the water, crafts, devotionals, games and stayed up way way way to late! I am the youngest leader and I probably had a little too much fun playing in the water with the girls and although I may look and act the same age I discovered a sad truth...after playing last man standing on this floating island and crashing and falling for almost 2 hours straight...the next day I could hardly move and I asked some of the girls if they were sore like I was and having them be puzzled as to what would have made them sore...I quickly realized that my poor body is not as young as it once was:) Anyway...camp was really good for me because I just could not stop thinking about my two girls and how strongly I hope they can be good friends to each other and that they will be kind and considerate, helpful, obedient, adventurous, spiritual and happy girls when they get to be young women. I want that more then anything and it was good for me to be reminded of the things I can do better so that I am stronger for myself and my little family.




The last little activity was just last night and we had a family reunion/sleepover at my Granny and Grandpa Aposhian's. I got the idea to have a sleepout on my Grandparents big grass lawn and so i've been planning it for a while now and it was fun. We had our annual Armenian dinner with my Grandpa's yummy shishkabob and then we passed out family t-shirts that I had made (my sis Hilary designed the logo, Tom got them printed and I made sure I had all the right sizes for everyone) They turned out really nice and the logo stands for 6 generations of Aposhians since our ancestors joined the church. My sister Brittany took a family picture. We had a talent show...Addie got in her red "Annie" dress and her red "Dorothy" shoes and we brought her little keyboard and for her talent she danced and twirled:) We played games and stayed up late and then slept in tents or just under the stars. In the morning my Aunt Diane did an aerobic workout with us and seeing Tom and my Grandpa doing it was priceless:) The whole event was fun but I think my expectations were a little higher as I just envisioned it being such a good opportunity to build friendships among our extended family and the turn out wasn't the best, quite a few people didn't sleepover, the game tournaments didn't quite happen and the talent show could have had more contributors...but it was what it was and that's better then nothing right!?


Well...that's all for now...I'm sure lots more to come as this next week we will be celebrating an anniversary, birthday Brittany and the boys leave :( and then Tom's sister's start coming into town and there will be lots of events with the Garners coming up!

12 comments:

Merrill Family said...

We have had a lot of fun things this summer. Thanks for planning the Aposhian sleepover, we had a great time, and I hope we do it every year. The shirts are great! Camping was great. The river was SCARY and fun. Hopefully we have started some new things with all of our kids that can become our new traditions.

KIM {POPPY SEED PROJECTS} said...

You are one busy lady! Girls camp is so fun, and so fun when it's over!!! You need to come out to Stansbury one day and go to the Stansbury pool with us--we miss you!

Hilary said...

It has been so fun to hang out with you these past couple weeks. Kind of a bummer that we couldn't make the reunion. Kudos to you for all your hard work. I'm sure the first year of starting new traditions is the hardest. Hopefully we can do it again next year!
Do we get a T-shirt even though we weren't there?

jenny_moffat said...

Julia askes everyday when we get to sleep over at Granny's house and play with Addy again. It was really fun and I hope we can keep this new tradition going! The talent was nice, I just have a major phobia about being in front of people with all of the attention on me. Sorry. But thanks for a fun night.

J.Frey said...

Fun Summer! The only bad thing about being gone so much is trying to catch up on the laundry and weeding! But definately worth it!

Viewmont High 2000 said...

check out the vhs class blog at vhs2000.blogspot.com.

Be sure to leave your name and blog in the comments and spread the word.

Krystal said...

I just have to say that the dress Adi is wearing in her " Adelyn Lola" picture is to die for- so cute! Your Sister-in-law really is such an amazing photographer!

Krystal said...

I just have to say that the dress Adi is wearing in her " Adelyn Lola" picture is to die for- so cute! Your Sister-in-law really is such an amazing photographer!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Hey hillary, I ran into your blog from the Viewmont class of 2000 blog. I can't believe you have two kids now! Sometimes when I go home I still feel like you still live next door! How fast time flies!

Leesee Girlyfield said...

Summers are always so much fun! Addie looks pretty cute in her cowboy getup! Such little dolls you have!!!

Jessica June said...

Hill- You have been SO BUSY!! How fun though! I Love your hair- you are dark! For a minute I thought you were brittany! Hope to see you soon!!

Mama Blogger said...

Small world!
Ennis was the realtor our our lot in Oakley in 1997 when we made the purchase.