Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Spring Skiing to Moab

Tom and I decided to get one last ski day in and so we dropped the kiddos off at Aunty Em's and headed to Snowbird. It was a beautiful day! The snow was a bit sticky and freaked me out every now and then and Tom had a hurt back but despite those two things it was such a pleasant day! We normally don't bring our music but this time we decided to and I tell you what...there's nothing quite like cruising down a run listening to some good tunes in the warm sunshine!








So we skied until about 2:00 and on the way down we just kept talking about what a beautiful day it was and then we had this great idea...let's go camping...let's go to Moab. So we drove straight to Recreation outlet to buy the girls some good sleeping bags (little mermaid wasn't going to be going on this trip), called Camille and told her to skip out on the rest of the day at work and come with us...and surprisingly she was all for it and said she would wing it with us, and then in a whirlwind hour... bags were packed, kids picked up, showers, food thrown in the coolers, and the minivan was loaded to the brim with kids and luggage...and we were on the road by 4:00! Now that's what I call a spontaneous trip!


When we arrived in moab we quickly realized that there weren't many camping options available and ended up spending the first night camped on a playground to say the least:) But we woke up the next morning and found a great place in the Slick Rock Campground. We set up camp and then headed to Arches National Park. Camille and Holland had never been to Moab so we were excited to share our little gem with them!

Double Arch...always a classic hike...this is the arch that where they filmed a scene in Indiana Jones!







Sand Dune Arch...definitely a favorite spot for all of the kids and fun for us adults as well. We played there for at least an hour. Softest sand on earth in our opinion!









After the sand dune arch we drove around the Arches Campsite which we are now so excited because they let you reserve spots! They've never done that and it's always impossible to get those sites and they are the best! Wahoo...we will be returning!

Broken Arch












Holland's hiking shoes of choice!


We made our trip easier in a lot of ways by eating out most meals and bringing minimal food but with that said...that night I have to admit that I found myself in a crabby mood...I was ill prepared in a lot of ways...not having all my good camping essentials ...having my expectations of what it means to be camping right...wanting it to be a memorable experience for everyone...I just think so many of my childhood memories creep up on me when i'm in moab and I want to recreate those for my kids because they are some of my most special childhood memories that I have with my family! I do need to remember that we still have little kids and we are doing pretty good to just get out there camping and that some things will just have to wait...like late night pounce games on the picnic table with the glow of the lantern.



I love camping because it forces our minds and bodies to slow down a bit...there's no technology and the kids just busy themselves with simple things like gathering juniper berries, digging in the sand and exploring...it's the best!




Delicate Arch...the most beautiful, impressive awe inspiring arch that still gives me chills every time I turn the last corner and see it for the first time. This was a long hard hike for the kids, and when we started I wasn't so sure we'd make it to the top...but we did! Tom and I have never been to the top together! It was a good experience!
The beginning of our 3 mile journey


The last bend of the trail


The girls earned 10 marbles for doing this hike...nothing like a little bribery!






Elsie and I went and laid right under the arch


Good thing Tom's a superdad!...he really makes every effort to make sure the kids are well taken care of...on the way up I heard Holland say to Camille..."Tom's a good Dad!" He really is...there were many moments this trip when I thought how great Tom was and how cute and thoughtful...but I didn't verbalize it...Thanks Holland for the little reminder!

A quick stop at the giant sandhill just outside the Park...Tom and the girls hiked to the top...rested...and ran down before the long ride home!



What a fun weekend of snow and sand!

4 comments:

Jennifer Anderson said...

What an awesome place!! I wish there was more time and money so I could bring my family there! Looks like the kids had a blast and Tom was definitely in his element!!

Six Girls and One Boy said...

You, Tom, Michele and now Camille have definitely convinced me that I need to go to Moab with you on one of your trips! That was so thoughtful of you to include Camille and Holland! Your children will have wonderful memories of your get-a-ways!

Ang said...

So fun! Wish we could have met up with you guys. Hopefully next time... can you believe I still have never been there?! Ridiculous. :)

The Great Lakes of NY said...

you guys are my HEROES! Seriously. The fun you have, the adventures you go on surpass any other family's that I know!! Wish I could benefit from living close to you! Can't wait to see you.