Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Valentine's Day

In the morning we went to Adelyn's class Valentine's Day party and Elsie came along as my assistant for the craft. We made signs that read "I heart you" and then had the kids dip tissue paper in glue to fill in the heart with. It was a silly little party and a lot of things to pack in to a half hour...sheesh. Adelyn's teacher is a bit of a crammit and I just wanted to stay and clean her room and sanitize the desks and organize the shelves...it's an organizers dream! Anyway...the kids had fun and I think it meant a lot to Adelyn and it was a fun way to start the day.





We had "heart dogs" for lunch and then Cohen went down for a nap so we could work on our big project of the day...


Making Valentine's Day cookies!!! I debated whether or not to do these this year because it is a lot of work and a giant mess, but i'm so glad we did! We had so much fun and it took about 5 hours to complete everything from making the dough to delivery and all 5 hours the girls were completely entertained and having so much fun. Adelyn was in the zone as she decorated and she turned in to quite the little cooking show deva and I loved listening to her say things like..."okay, now I think I will do a large cookie and i'll frost it in light pink and then decorate it with a darker pink and Mom do you think I should do sprinkels or no sprinkels on this one??...yeah I agree, I think it needs sprinkles" It was so funny. Elsie didn't mass produce as many as Adelyn but she was very careful and particular of her decorating and her cookies came out nice and thick with frosting and sprinkles.






We ended up with around 60 cookies and we put them on plates and had fun delivering them to 8 different homes...after working so hard on the cookies I loved seeing the girls so excited to give them away to people. Fun tradition! Our last house we stopped at was a plate full for Grandma Joyce, Grandpa Doug, Holland and Camille...and we stayed and ate some soup and visited before going back home!


Tom left the day before for the Pacific Islands(that post comming soon) and he surprised me with a fun little gift that meant a lot that he would make the arrangments (thanks Camille) and think of me! After I got the house all cleaned up...I treated myself to one of those Black cherry sodas, a couple chocolates, and a little "Bachelor" for my V-day:)

2 comments:

Jennifer Anderson said...

Wow-what a day you had! Cheers to you for taking the task of baking all those cookies. They turned out awesome and the girls look like they enjoyed every minute of it. So glad that the Bachelor could be your date while Tom was away :)

Six Girls and One Boy said...

You are such a wonderful mother, Hillary! Even though Tom was gone for three weeks, it didn't stop you from living life and doing fun stuff. (I agree with you about Addy's teacher's classroom!!!!)