Monday, October 13, 2008

MOAB


We took a little vacation down to Moab this past weekend and we had so much fun. We decided not to even try roughing it this year and we booked a room at the Super 8 Motel for a couple nights (thanks Doug and Joyce and your precious points)...we had heard that the weather could be pretty bad and camping didn't sound too fun with the little girls. We arrived in Moab Friday afternoon and came home Sunday evening. It was a little chilly and windy at times...but for the most part we had beautiful blue bird sky's and perfect crisp hiking weather!

I think the highlight of the trip for the girls was playing in the huge sand hill as you're coming into town...we stopped there every day and it was the last thing we did as we left town...we brought along our buckets and shovels and the girls could have stayed there all day...we climbed to the top and took turns getting buried up to our chins in silky soft sand! (my camera died by the last day...due to the sand that wouldn't allow the lens to close:( so no pictures of this, but it was so funny to see the girls buried and especially Elsie...she wanted to keep doing it over and over!

Tom showing us his skills...I jumped too but I don't look as skillful in the air:)








We spent most of friday and saturday in Arches National Park hiking the "Windows section" , playing in the sand at "Sandune Arch", "Skyline Arch", hiking the "Devils Garden" section and just having fun exploring and wandering around and trying to catch lizards. As a child my family camped in the Arches almost every year and so it holds a lot of memories for me and I just love being there in all its grand majesty. Tom also has a lot of great memories of trips to moab and so we both love going there. If you have not been there...who are you and why the heck have you not been down there yet!?



area of the three gossips, the sheep and the organ

North Window



South Window

Turret Arch






Pinetree Arch

giggling girls playing with the chipmunks

landscape arch


sleeping child aka kink in neck


Other things we enjoyed doing on our stay was swimming in the hot tub, continental breakfast, pillow fights, walking around slick rock, Zax Restaurant for all you can eat pizza, salad and soup, and getting fresh water from the rock. The other main reason we headed down to Moab is that my brother Zac raced in the 24 hours of Moab race and so on Sunday morning we drove out to the race and went to say hello and give our support. Zac and his team "Widow Makers" were wasted as they had each gotten done riding 4 laps on a 15 mile lap course...they each took turns riding laps throughout the night! Crazy! They ended up placing 13th in their category out of like 65...so they did awesome especially for their first year. I'm not kidding...I wouldn't make it half a lap! There were some people there who were soloing and when we arrived there was a 65 year old man who had just finished soloing for 24 hours...awesome. I just love being down in that environment where everyone is so in shape and there is just this energy in the air.

So that was our little trip to Moab! We think that that was our first family trip where we didn't go with someone else or didn't meet up with family or friends for a vacation...it was just our little family and it was so fun to see the girls being little adventurists! Love you guys!

9 comments:

Merrill Family said...

It looks like you had such a fun time. I think it is about time we take our family back there, maybe even with Grandpa Arch. (I see an Arch, I see an Arch) I'm glad you had such a good time.

J.Frey said...

I love how active your little family is! Looks like you guys had fun!

Brittany said...

It looks so beautiful. I haven't been there is soooo long. I forgot about that sand hill. I LOVED that when we were little. I could almost cry right now.

Kimi said...

I love all your pictures! Looks like perfect weather

Kimi said...

I love all your pictures! Looks like perfect weather

Hilary said...

I'm SO glad the weather was good! You should have seen Zac when he got home, I've never seen such bloodshot eyes! Looks like you had a fun family trip. Next time we're down there we'll have to stop at that sandhill.

Anonymous said...

Wow Hillary...I didn't even know you were going down! What a great time! It made me tear up, thinking of all the trips we made down there when you kids were growing up...some of our best memories! Fun pictures!

KIM {POPPY SEED PROJECTS} said...

Such fun pictures, Hil! I love that you guys are so adventurous and it's already starting to rub off on your girls :).

Hilary said...

love the new background! so you!