Friday, February 27, 2009

Butter Mints...butter shmints!

I called my sister Emily yesterday to see if she wanted to do something and I needed to make something for the ladies I visit teach and my secret sisters and so Emily came up with the yummy idea to try and make some Butter Mints! We both spent some time looking for a great recipe and I finally found one that I thought would be perfect. So we went over to her house and got to work! We got the first batch going and in a matter of seconds I overcooked it but we thought it might still work, so we let it cool a bit and then tried to pull it...it completely hardened within minutes and we ended up with a very good imitation of a Werther's Original.


So we decided to try again and cook it much slower and things were looking really good so we started a third batch! Well, we poured the new batch into a cooled buttered pan and let cool just and bit and then started pulling and this time it started crumbling...we ended up with very yummy butter mint crumbs. Well the third batch was about done so we started frantically calling anyone that might know what we were doing wrong and it was no use...the third batch was finished and eneded up exactly like our last crumbly batch! So this is when we became a bit delusional and Emily suggests that we add all the crumbs back into the pot and add more cream and overcook it like we did the first batch so we can at least walk away from this with some hard werther's-like candy. Well, that turned into a nice sludge that we ended up chucking.


I left Emily's house after about four hours with a small bag of hard candy and butter mint crumbs! We were both laughing like crazy by the end and vowing that we won't be making butter mints any time soon unless we have an expert with us! So...here's the question...do any of you know how to successfully make butter mints? Do you have a great recipe. Not that i'm going to attempt any time soon, we just seriously don't know what else we could have done!

3 comments:

Breona said...

that is so funny. Seriously...butter mints are so hard to get just right. I actually made a bunch of them this last christmas But I was with a pro. I have some pics on my blog in Dec. I think a big trick is that once the liquid is heated to the exact temp and your ready to pour it out..you have to pour it on a granite or marble slab. and you NEVER never stir it until it's ready to be poured.? it's just a bunch of little details.? anyways if you want to compare recipes, let me know and I'll email you. funny pics. I had my share of messes too

Clark Family said...

They still looked yummy. I would have taken them!!!

Tyler, Brooke, Britain, Braden and Beckham said...

That is so classic! I wish I could have been there to watch you two laughing, I know how the Cheney girls can have fun! I think they look wonderful and I probably would have eaten them anyway. IF you ever perfect the recipe, ship some my way okay? Love ya! How are you feeling?