Tuesday, August 31, 2010

USU Flowers

A few months ago I received a call from my old college adviser, floral instructor and friend Donna and she asked me if she could give my name out as a referral for doing flowers for different USU events. Donna normal does these things and she was going to be gone and so she thought I would make a good match.

So I ended up getting to do the flowers for an event held at the Wetland Discovery Building in Kaysville where they were having an award program and ground breaking for a new off campus building for Extension Students (which I am a proud graduate from). I met with the director and walked around the building and his one suggestion for me was to be creative and use cuttings from the different kaysville buildings.

So that is what I did and I have to say I think it is by far my most creative piece of work...it might not look that amazing, but 90% of the stuff I used I found from different flowers, bushes and trees. I used green pods from a Golden Rain Tree, giant hosta leaves, sumac clusters, grasses, bullrushes, cat tails, echinacea, russian sage to name a few. It was fun to be creative and use things I'd never thought of using!






5 comments:

Lara Vanhille said...

Um...HELLO AMAZING! Hill you seriously are one of the most talented, creative people I know! These arrangments are gorgeous! Way to be amazing!

Hilary said...

very cool Hill! talented as always. By the way I referred you to my brother and his fiance' for their wedding flowers in April. Stacy (fiance') will be contacting you

Six Girls and One Boy said...

What a wonderful compliment from your advisor to have you arrange the flowers in place of him!!! You certainly did a fantastic job! I'm so glad you took pictures for us to see your amazing creative work--and I mean that sincerely.

Jennifer Anderson said...

SOOOO beautiful! You have such an amazing talent!

Ang said...

Those look totally amazing/beautiful. What a cool thing to be asked to do from an old college advisor! So jealous you get to use your education to do such cool art.