I took it to my mom's where we gave it a bath and fed it some food. We took it to our home in a box and spent the next few days loving the kitty and still deciding what the heck we're going to do with it. We named it Oliver since it was a runaway and the kids just couldn't get enough of it. By day three in the morning I knew that the cat wasn't doing well and wasn't drinking it's milk so I went and bought some kitten milk formula(same price as baby formula!) and a teeny bottle to try and feed it...(thanks Emily for telling us about this)
We had to force Oliver's jaw open and feed him and we did this for 3 days...but he just kept getting worse. Tom and I woke up on Saturday and knew the cat wasn't going to make it ...we took the kids to a movie and when we came home Oliver was gone. This might sound crazy, but I know that this little kitten with its wee kitten spirit was suppose to come to our family. Our family had being going through a hard phase and this little kitten broke down some walls and helped us by loving and serving it. I cried...we had had some tender moments trying to nurse this kitten back to health. Tom took us out back down in the yard and he dug a hole and then we laid Oliver down wrapped in paper towels and we all tossed a flower on him...it was sweet. Adelyn broke down a bit after that and just had a good cry...she really was the one who took care of him and was always aware of where he was and how he was doing.
So what would you have done if you were in my place?...maybe I should have spared my family the heartache and just kept driving and hoped that the cat didn't get squashed...maybe I should have hopped out and drivin the cat to a grassy area and let it go? I don't know...but I did what I did and it was fun having little Oliver visit for a week.
This cat loved Cohen...it was so funny...it would try and climb on Cohen and get scooted around




7 comments:
Poor kitty! Love you Hill!
I think you did the right thing Hill. You are so sweet to take the time and pick the poor thing up and let him feel loved... even if for just a few days. You're a good example of compassion. And what a precious thing your family will always hold dear. We're excited to see you and the kids in just a few days!
P.S. And if I were a kitty, I would much rather be buried wrapped in love with flowers on top of me than on the side of the road scorching up the summer heat.
What a good little samaritan you are.
I probably wouldn't even have noticed the little kitty and I'm afraid even if I had, I would have pretended that I didn't. You guys don't seem to have the best of luck with cats?
oh, HIllary! I have actually been waiting for you to post a photo of that kitty since the night you told me you found it. And my heart is just broken that you had to see him go. I am so happy to saved him that day and I think it is so awesome, although hard, for your kids to experience that kind of thing. He will always be remembered for the love your family gave to him. What a cute, sweet little thing he was!! I'm such a sucker for kittens. Sabe is already worried that I might be one of those crazy cat ladies one day who has 265 of them living in her house :)
I happened across your blog because I was trying to see if Joyce put up her Cruise pictures. Hillary, you are a sweet mom. So sorry about your little kitten. It's so true that when we serve one another (even if it's a stray kitten) we love.
By the sound of this story, it looks like you definetly did the right thing. It brought your family closer, that was worth every bit of that cats last few days of life. And just think, he was cared for even better in your home then out in the world. I just say, your a good woman for stopping and picking it up, I wouldn't think twice to stop! Those are some really sweet pictures you got and I loved that Tom buried it...he would do something like that...you two are such good people! Thanks for sharing.
You definitely did the right thing. You can never miss an opportunity to take care of another living creatures if you can. You are a sweet mother and the kids saw your kindness and participated in the act of service. Well done.
Post a Comment