The next day we went in to Arches National Park and hiked to Double Arch, Sand Dune Arch, had a picnic, and then hiked to Tapestry Arch. It was perfect hiking weather and the girls had so much fun once again playing in the sand, exploring, looking for lizards and "making stews" wherever we went. Adelyn and I were perfect hiking buddies as I am not as fast being so pregnant and she was forced to hike on her own while Elsie got to ride in the backpack. We then went back to the hotel for some swimming and naps and then the weather changed on us and a huge thunderstorm hit! The power was out in the whole area for about three hours...but during that time we made the most out of it and we went on a fun drive and yelled out our windows at the rain...things like "Rain...I can see your underwear" or, "you're a turkeylips Rain!"...Adelyn got this going and pretty soon we were all joining in....one of those random funny family moments. After the power finally came back on we were able to eat dinner at about 9:00pm at our favorite spots Zax's Pizza...and it was well worth the wait!
The next day Tom woke up early and went mountain biking, we had breakfast, went and played on the rain-soaked mud/sand hill, went swimming, then went up to a natural swimming area up by Slick Rock, checked out of our hotel, then went back to the Arches. We decided to do the Fiery Furnace and had to watch the video and get a day permit...and i'm so glad that we did that. I hadn't gone in there for years and while hiking I had one of those "proud of my family" moments where i'm looking around and Adelyn is hiking around like a pro, i'm 7 months pregnant hiking around, Elsie was being a cutie in the backpack with her broken elbow and Tom was dealing with all three of us girls and leading us on a fun hike!
We've loved going down to Moab the past few years with just our family because not only have they been extremely spontaneous and unplanned days, but we've really been able to bond and come close while being out in nature together.
Hiking to Double Arch...can't have a road trip without licorice or "licklish" as Elsie calls it!
Adelyn was so excited when she found this mini tree!
Sand Dune Arch
Sand caked buns!
Hike to Tapestry Arch
all of the cactus were in bloom...it was so pretty!
Tom quite often had to relieve Adelyn from walking when she would get tired and so he would carry both girls! What a strong man I married!
This picture makes me laugh...this is the rainy evening when we went on a long drive and we were munching on carrots and Elsie was in a total daze with her carrot/cigar hanging out of her mouth.
The BIG Sand Dune! Adelyn as you may notice has a new pose thing going on:)
Tom and Adelyn made it to the top, but Elsie and I didn't get quite that far.
Tom ventured out into the temporary pond
Not our cleanest trip to the sand hill, but still fun! We all had red backsides.
A quick trip to the hidden spring in the middle of the desert.
I double dogged Tom and he followed through with a dunk in the cold water!
Throwing rocks
Adelyn and Tom going down the rock slide
Fiery Furnace hike
When you get the day use permit to go through this hike you not only promise to keep on trails and not stomp on any of the Crypto Bionic Soil (sp?), but you also promise to keep your voices down and so it is one of those rare spots where you really feel at peace and almost reverent for nature!
The Poser!
last but not least...one of my favorite pictures that says it all..."i'm done hiking!" Adelyn was so good to hike all of Fiery Furnace on her own except the last 10 minutes she just couldn't take one more step.
We loaded up the car and within minutes the girls were both asleep and we headed for home!




7 comments:
How fun Hill! I didn't know you guys all went. You guys are all such troopers. Way to be! And what a fun family tradition. You guys have always been such good parents and make such fun memories for your girls. THanks for going to temple with us again.
love, heather
What a fun way to make memories with the kiddos! I swear the best trips are the one's that are least planned and most spontaneous. You guys are such cute parents and I can't believe that you will be adding one more to the bunch so soon. How are you feeling? Congrats to Tom on the new job. I am looking forward to details, but am so happy things are working out for you guys! I knew they would! :) Luv you!
You guys do the funnest things! I'd love to go down to Moab again and do more hiking next time. Great photos too! Congrats to Tom!
Brings back WONDERFUL memories! You are such a sweet family. You truly live life to the fullest.
You took some beautiful pictures! The rains underpants made me laugh-good for you guys getting out there for a last adventure!
that looks like so much fun-what a cute family and you look so good pregnant! congrats on the job too!
We just went to Moab on a spur of the moment trip to and I have to agree it is awesome family time. We loved the Sand Dune hike. The kids had a blast for hours.
Post a Comment